Our History

LBCT_screenshots (35 of 77).jpg

Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust is a private nonprofit organization led by volunteer professionals who are interested in preserving the natural, cultural and historical resources in and around Berkeley County. Since our founding in 1992, we have permanently protected nearly 25,000 acres of family farms and forests, rivers and streams, and historic sites. Our Trust only works with willing landowners who desire to protect the integrity of their properties, and we do so in a manner that respects private property rights.

 

Our Mission

The Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust conserves the natural environment, cultural and historical sites, and productive lands that anchor our sense of place throughout Santee Cooper Country.

 

Our Name

The Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust draws its name from the historic Berkeley County that was established by the Lords Proprietors in 1682. One of the four original counties of the colony, it stretched from the coast far inland. Although that county was eliminated when the Crown assumed ownership in 1729, the name of the Conservation Trust respects the historical roots of the colony and its settlement—two Berkeley brothers were among the eight original Lords Proprietors. Their attempts to encourage settlement set in motion a remarkable chain of events, dynamic forces that helped shaped the place we today call home and that will have influence for years to come.